Little Rock


May 1-3, 1864. The defeated Union army slogs through the muddy Saline bottoms toward Benton, finally arriving in Little Rock on May 3. Union casualties were 2,750, while Confederate losses were around 2,300. Federal troops would pursue no further large-scale offensive operations in Arkansas for the rest of the war.

The Route

▷ We previously began at Whitten's Mill, finishing in Sheridan, which is our starting point.
▷ Arkansas 46 at US 270/W Center Street, Sheridan ARTurn right (eastward) at Center Street/US 270 for three blocks.
▷ US 270/W Center Street at Arkansas 35, Sheridan ARTurn left (northward) approximately 4 blocks.
▷ Arkansas 35/W Vine Street at Arkansas 35/N Arch Street, Sheridan ARTurn right (north) on Arkansas 35 for 21.4 miles.
▷ Arkansas 35 at Arkansas 183Turn right (eastward) on Arkansas 183 through Bauxite for 4.1 miles.
▷ Arkansas 183 becomes Reynolds RoadFollow the highway through the left curve (northward) then travel 5.1 miles.
▷ Arkansas 183/Reynolds Road at Arkansas 5/Old Stagecoach Road, Pulaski County ARReaching Arkanas 5 is the last of the highway system. If you like, you may return to the MacArthur Musem in Little Rock, about 18-20 miles away.
▷ MacArthur Museum, Little Rock ARThe "Arkansas Red River Campaign of 1864" or "Camden Expedition" ended where it began, at the Little Rock Arsenal.

▷ This brings us back to the point at which we began, Little Rock Arsenal.

Google Maps

Show my location on map

At the popup, you must allow your web brower (not us) to know your location.
Your location should update every 5 seconds.


This brings us back to the point at which we began, Little Rock Arsenal.

Return to Headquarters

Fearing that Confederate General Fagan might be nearby, Gen. Carr's force divested themselves of 200 wagons and left a trail of supplies and gear along the road to Little Rock. Opting to make a night march, Carr and his exhausted force were in the outskirts of Little Rock by early morning of May 1. Carr rushed to contact the commander and explain Steele's difficult lack of supplies. 30,000 rations were loaded in wagons and dispatched toward Jenkins' Ferry under heavy guard.
Meanwhile, Steele, learning of the terrible condition of the road to Little Rock, divested his force of unnecessary wagons and equipment and began to march toward Little Rock early on the morning of May 1. At the intersection of the Little Rock and Pine Bluff roads, refugees and ambulances carrying sick and wounded went to Pine Bluff. Steele and his force slogged on through five miles of muddy, difficult road in a particularly swampy area and then marched on through the night though they were exhausted and hungry. By the afternoon of May 2, Steele's force was on the road near Benton when Steele decided to ride ahead and seek food for his men, leaving Gen. Salomon in charge. The men camped and rested where they had stopped on March 23rd, the first night of the expedition. Before Steele arrived in Little Rock, he met a supply train taking food to his army. It was welcomed by his starving troops before nightfall. The next day, on May 3rd, Steele's army arrived once again in Little Rock. Gen. Kirby Smith had not pursued Steele. After April 30, his force rested near the Jenkins' Ferry battlefield while his medical unit saw to burying the dead and treating the many wounded. On May 3, Smith started toward Camden with his army. The Camden Expedition was over.

Up Next

This brings us back to the point at which we began, Little Rock Arsenal.

More Information

Here is a web page with more information:
Encyclopedia of Arkansas